Sunday, November 19, 2006

How a Swiss Roll became a jelly sandwich

The expected outcome - a Swiss "ROLL"









The actual outcome - A Swiss Jelly "Sandwich"





















Hi all,

Apologies for abandoning my blog for a while...been lazy and unfortunately don't have a laptop so have to be in the basement to use the PC (sometimes depressing)... Anyway, I've taken on baking for fun for sometime now and have tried baking different cakes, cupcakes, desserts, including sponge, marble, black forest, chiffon cake, etc. So far Swiss Roll had been the hardest to make =(
I attempted to make my firstSwiss Roll cake (March 08, 2006) and here's how it began...
- Printed a simple Swiss Roll recipe from the net
- Went to No Frills to get the ingredients (jam, etc.)
- Even bought myself a good non-stick the Swiss Roll 13x23 cm pan
- Even got the parchment paper despite having tons of baking wax paper at home and truly not seeing any difference between the two types of paper. But since the recipe asked for parchment, I somehow convinced myself to waste $$ and buy it anyway (O_=)
- Followed the recipe to make the Swiss Roll : one hard part was laying the pan with parchement paper and levelling the batter, ensuring that it touches the corners of the pan
- Then put the roll to bake for 10-15mins and let it cool before spreading the jam over it (else Jam will soak into the roll and make it soggy)

Everything seemed to went pretty well and my confidence level was at its highest on a flagpost...
Then came the *rolling* of the cake.... With my HUMBLE apron tied around my waist, I rolled up my sleeve, gently picked up one edge of the cake and started rolling. One thing that was hard to ignore was that the cake cracked each time I rolled it from one end to the other (T_T). But I had strong *FAITH* in my cake and believed that it would somehow *unstretch* itself and the cracks would magically disappear (I actually imagined it doing that too...duhh!)

At the end of the rolling, the expected round SWISS ROLL *amazingly* turned into an odd triangular, SWISS TOBELERONE looking cake with strawberry jelly layers! I tried to press on the cracks and made them disappear but I made it even WORSE!! OOPS! I tried to fix it my unrolling the cake and rolling it back! OOOPPPSSSS...the cake gave in and divided along the cracks.. I finally gave up and trimmed the rectangular cake pieces and stacked them... This final transformation turned my *dream* Swiss Roll cake into a *common* jelly sandwich... I've temporarliy given up on the making of Swiss Roll cakes and have moved on.... Later I did some reading on some tips/posts regarding Swiss Roll failures and not surprisingly, I have *successfully* met most of them in my attempt... (O_o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home