Sunday, November 19, 2006

“Mango Upside Down Cake” saved by POTATOES!

14-April-06
















I found a yummy “Mango Upside Down” recipe online and was excited to try it out. Went shopping for the ingredients after work and got the mango puree, mango and probably some junk food (that somehow gets included in my grocery list at every visit to a grocery store at anytime). The rest of the ingredients (flour, brown sugar, butter, etc.) were stocked up at home.

A quick blur on my junk food eating habit…
It’s highly compulsive, impulsive and uncontrollable!! At times, especially around meals, Keith had to literally put/hid the junk food away on top of high cabinets since I just couldn’t stop EATING once I get my hands on them!!! >_<










For the cake itself, typical ingredients were used with the mango puree and the cake batter was poured on top of the butter-sugar mixture and put into the oven (middle shelf).











The first few minutes into the baking I saw smoke coming out of the oven and soon the whole kitchen smelled like BURNT butter-sugar!! Peeking into the oven I noticed a BIG BOO-BOO I made!! The butter-sugar mixture was LEAKING from the sides of the removable springform pan bottom and DRIPPING onto the bottom of the oven, burning the butter!!

I panicked and opened up the oven door, releasing more smoke and triggering the SMOKE ALARM!! HAHAHAA ! OOOPSSS! Gotta FAN the smoke alarm!! My mom came running into the kitchen and quickly helped me wipe the bottom of the oven with wet paper towels wrapped around long wooden chopsticks!! I placed a big round pizza pan on the lower shelf of the oven but the butter was still burning away as it dripped onto the pizza pan! Then my *RARE* creative thinking kicked in and I started washing, dicing and salting some potatoes and placed them onto the pizza pan!














At the end, somehow my poor cake amazingly turned out to be ok – edible, presentable and had a good mango smell! Guess the potatoes soaked up the burnt smell?? PHEWWW!! Although the cake didn’t rise as much as expected, I’m proud of it after all that it’s been through =D The potatoes turned out to be good as well with some SWEET-BUTTERY taste and we had them for dinner hehee… My dad actually liked them!!

Looking back...the whole thing was actually pretty funny and I can’t help laughing at myself hehee.… Good thing my mom still trusts me around the kitchen (^_^) – I’ve only had very *few* bad incidents, REALLY!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home